| ||Academic Speaking: debates in English
| ||Matthew Banks
|Horas de formación|
| ||12 horas presenciales|
| ||13 horas no presenciales|
|Horario y lugar|
2019-06-06 de 15:30 horas a 19:30 horas en Sala D. 2ª Entreplanta Rectorado
2019-06-13 de 15:30 horas a 19:30 horas en Sala D. 2ª Entreplanta Rectorado
2019-06-20 de 15:30 horas a 19:30 horas en Sala D. 2ª Entreplanta Rectorado
|Objetivos del módulo|
| ||This short course aims to...
• provide participants with a rationale for using debates in the classroom
• enable participants to structure formal and informal classroom debates
• raise awareness of the main elements of successful debating in English
• provide participants with English language for debating
• provide an opportunity for participants to practise English for debating
• enable participants to assess the success of debates
• provide participants with feedback on debating skills and English language use
| ||• Rationale for using debates in the classroom
• Structuring formal and informal classroom debates
• Elements of successful debating
• English language for debating
• Practise debating in small groups
• Assessing the success of debates
• English language practice and feedback on debating skills and language use
|Competencias que se van a adquirir|
| ||By the end of the course you will be able to
• evaluate the utility of classroom debating in your teaching context
• participate in structured and informal debates in English
• set up a structured debate in English
• feel more confident in your use of English for debating
| ||Collaborative, communicative, learner-centred, experiential.
Participants will learn by working with the course content in small groups.
A high degree of participation is required.
|Sistema de evaluación|
| ||Attend the two workshop sessions and participate in the activities.
Demonstrate your understanding of effective debating in English by setting up a short small class debate and judging its success in session 2.
Demonstrate your understanding of effective debating in English by planning a teaching episode in which a debate is incorporated. A rationale and a lesson plan sequence should be submitted to the workshop tutor.
|Descripción de las actividades presenciales|
| ||Powerpoint presentation and group work facilitation by workshop tutor.
A range of pair, small group and whole group tasks involving participants playing different roles so as to both model and provide an opportunity to experience a number of shorter and longer structured and informal classroom debates in English.
Discussion of value and utility of activities presented by tutor and peers for participants´own teaching contexts.
|Descripción de las actividades no presenciales|
| ||Study English language for debating to consolidate and extend course input.
Design a short small group debate and judge its success.
Design a short teaching sequence in which a debate is incorportaded to be submitted to the workshop tutor.
|Referencia de consulta básica bibliografía, URL...|
|Información de interés para los participantes|
| ||The workshops will be undertaken in English.
In order to follow the material and fully participate in the workshop activities an English level of B2 - C1 (CEFR) is required.